Frequently Asked Questions

See also: FAQ for conference participants

What is the Women's Leadership Council?
The Women's Leadership Council is a diverse group of Brown women, appointed by the President, who work toward creating lasting change at the University through leadership, mentoring and philanthropy.

The Council provides Brown women with opportunities to connect with today's students as mentors, role models, and advisors; organizes events and programs that reconnect alumnae to each other and to the intellectual excitement of Brown's academic experience; and highlights opportunities for investing in the University's continued success.

Why 120?
Due to the momentum behind the efforts of the Women's Leadership Council, the timing was perfect to offer a conference celebrating the history and impact of Brown alumnae. In addition, it is President Simmons' final year in office and the Pembroke Center's 30th anniversary—two other significant reasons supporting the timing for the Conference.

Why attend?
Alumnae should attend because it will be a powerful, historic gathering of Brown alumnae. The Conference offers a unique opportunity to reconnect alumna to each other and to Brown.

Who should attend?
All alumnae of Brown are invited to attend the Conference.

What is the conference program?
Please see the Conference Program on the website for a complete list of offerings. Participant names will be added to the schedule starting in late March.

Do I have to register to attend?
Yes. Registration is required.

Is there a fee to attend the Conference?
Yes, it is $75 for alumnae and $50 for young alumnae (graduates of 2002 – 2011). Guests, defined as current female students who are relatives/mentees of attending alumnae, are $50. This includes all events and meals throughout the conference.

How do I register?
Registration for the conference is now closed. Please contact Celebrate@Brown.edu if you have questions about registration.

I already registered but want to make a change or cancel—how do I do that?
If you have already registered and need to make a change, please email Celebrate@Brown.edu with your changes or cancellations. Someone will reply to your email to confirm receipt.

Can I bring a guest?
Yes—a guest at the Women's Leadership Conference is defined as a current female Brown student who is either a relation (child, grandchild, niece, etc.) or a mentee of an attending alumna.

Where do I find out about hotels, traveling to campus, parking, shuttles, restaurants and taxis?
Please see the Conference travel page for details.

How many alumnae do you expect will attend the conference?
We anticipate several hundred alumnae.

May I bring my children?
If you are traveling with your children, we are sorry that space limitations prevent us from including them in Conference offerings (meals, panels, etc.). We can refer you to these resources: Sitter City and KidoInfo.

Are pets allowed?
Pets are not allowed with the exception of documented service animals (such as seeing-eye dogs) assisting participants with disabilities.

What is the attire for the conference?  
Attendees are encouraged to dress comfortably. You will be walking about campus to attend the various sessions, panels, tours and meals. You are welcome to dress a bit more formally (cocktail dress, blouse/slacks or suit) for Friday's Gala and Saturday's Closing Conference Celebration.

What will the weather be like?
You should plan to dress for early Spring weather in the Northeast, which could include rain and chilly temperatures. Conference programming will take place in campus buildings and under tenting throughout the weekend

How can I help spread the word?

• Follow us on Facebook and interact with posts that interest you. Post an update on your own Facebook page to let other women know you're planning to attend.
  • Follow us on Twitter and use the hashtag #WLC120 in your own tweets about the event.
  • Email or call old friends from Brown to tell them you'd love to see them there.

Who do I contact if I have any further questions?
Celebrate@Brown.edu